In 140 characters:
Support @RLPShelterFdn at #twilightYEG. 20 May 7pm $25! Door prizes wanted! Martwinis! Goal: $3000 Limit 70 people-RSVP! #yeg See you there!
Royal LePage Shelter Foundation
The full write-up:
Inspiration can be found where you least expect it. For me it was at the Royal LePage Annual Sales Rally & Awards Ceremony, where I had the pleasure to hear the director of the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation speak about this amazing charity and those who have supported it. I was immediately motivated and actually wrote down a goal to raise $3000 for the foundation in a way that no other REALTOR® has done before – a “tweetup”!
Twitter has taken the world by storm. Politicians, celebrities, executives, and everyday citizens are using it to interact, learn, and laugh. It is experiencing a huge growth in popularity as more and more people find value in its networking capabilities. Mainstream media outlets are now using Twitter to get information out faster than ever before. I have been using it to interact with hundreds of new people online, and more importantly, meet them in person through Tweetups (in-person meetings organized via Twitter.com). Following the simple model of the extremely successful international tweetup, “twestival” (raising over $250,000 USD in over 200 cities, an average of $1,500 CAD per city), I aim to raise $3000. With a little extra support, I think I might even be able to break my goal. That’s where you come in. Do you own or work for a company that could earmark a few hundred or even thousand dollars for the Shelter Foundation? The beauty of how it is organized is that I am able to direct 100% of the funds to Edmonton shelters and make a difference locally.
The tweetup is named “#twilightYEG” and it will be Wednesday 20 May 20 2009 at 7 pm at Hundred Bar Kitchen on Rice Howard Way and 100 St (visit http://100.ZoomJer.com). I have reserved the entire loft, so you won’t have to worry about finding a seat. Open your heart to women and children in need simply by attending the event. Admission is $25, and you are requested to pay in advance as space is limited, and you don’t even need to be on Twitter to attend (but don’t blame me if you decide to join during the event). The evening will prove to be full of fun, social networking, door prizes, and all for a fabulous cause. Plus, there might even be some special guests. I look forward to receiving your RSVP and seeing you at #twilightYEG. If you want to see how I use Twitter, visit http://Twitter.com/ZoomJer.
Royal LePage Shelter Foundation Facts:
• Royal LePage is the only Canadian real estate company with its own charity
• It is the largest public foundation in Canada dedicated exclusively to supporting shelters and ending violence against women and children
• In addition to helping victims, it also aims to prevent domestic violence through a partnership with the Canadian Women’s Foundation to provide grants to provincial agencies that help women gain independence and economic self-sufficiency
• Users can send messages up to 140 characters (including spaces), and those following them will receive the updates
• Over 3700 users in Edmonton
• Over 10 million worldwide users
• Local media using Twitter: 630CHED, 103.9 CISN FM, iNEWS880, 92.5 JOE FM, 96.3 Capital FM, K-97, CTV Edmonton, Global TV, CityTV, Edmonton Sun, Edmonton Journal, Metro, 102.9 Sonic